Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Green and Yellow Goodbye

Nothing Runs Like a Deere.
This slogan has been around for decades and is recognized not only in this region, but globally.
For the past twelve months I've been able to learn what sets Deere apart while working as a co-op student in the engineering department.
I've been exposed to a wide range of engineering projects and I've also had an opportunity to get a taste of other aspects of the business.

The corporate world spends billions of dollars on advertising each year in an attempt to appeal to the consumer and boost sales. Traditionally, John Deere relies on name recognition and the high standards of quality, performance, and customer service that have been built over generations.
However, this past year Deere released a new marketing campaign that not only explains the product but the loyal employees that spend their days ensuring that the reputation of John Deere green is upheld.
The campaign focuses on the people. It focuses on "How We Run".



I had an opportunity this past year to work with the marketing team, film crews, make-up artists, and my friends and co-workers at the Greeneville facility to capture some of the footage found on the JD website and commercials that debuted during March Madness. My role in all of this was small. Very small in fact.

But the impact that this company has had on me is truly immeasurable. Whenever I reflect over my time spend at John Deere I realize that I spent hundreds of hour’s number crunching, collecting data, updating CAD drawings, creating Excel spreadsheets, and generating improvements based my research. However, the memories that I carry with me from this past year aren't about the things that I've accomplished or the work that I completed. Rather when I think about John Deere, my mind in filled with the faces of the people I've encountered and the friendship I've formed.

The lessons I've learned this past year are far deeper than theories and laws of science.
This year I've witnessed first-hand the folks that make John Deere run. I've experienced people. I've listened to their history. I've laughed hysterically and offered a hug to friends in need. I've been the subject of office pranks and enjoyed more Top Choice BBQ than any 5'4 lady should. 

Today I say celebrate navy blue uniforms and steel toed boots.
I lay my ear plugs, gloves, and safety glasses down (for now) with a new appreciation for the working world.

Whether you make lawn mowers, educate our youth, own a small business, provide health care, or deliver our mail...remember that you and I, the people, have the power to make a difference!
So don't be afraid to tell others where you stand.
Show them exactly how YOU run.
-jpr-

No comments:

Post a Comment