Saturday, March 15, 2014

Life is Too Short To Drink Cold Coffee

Happiness in a mug. Coffee has become a necessity lately. There is something very soothing about the smell and the taste especially on a crisp, cool morning. As I've gotten older, I have grown to appreciate these rejuvenating sips even more. As much as I enjoy the aroma and caffeine buzz, I think I especially like the routine that is associated with this morning ritual. It's my time to sit, reflect, and prep for the demands of everyday life. As I begin checking my calendars, setting alarms, and scheduling next week's meetings, my mind begins to race and all of a sudden my peaceful morning has evaporated and just like the temperature of my K-cup coffee, the warmth of serenity escapes. 

Have you ever been around people who radiate happiness? The people who smile and genuinely care.  The individuals who are dancing even when chaos imposes and attempts to steal the show. People like this are rare. Perhaps that is why we are all drawn to them. It's as if the warmth of their coffee and the tenderness of their heart never cool. When I think of the people in my life who live this way, I realize that they are all tied together with a common thread. 

They live in the moment.

As I sit here reflecting, the same phrase continues to enter my mind. 

Be where you are.

These words seem palpable at first. Physically we're required to be where exactly where we are at a particular moment. However, our mental location seems to constantly drift between snap chats, text messages, responding to emails, checking if someone 'liked' your Instagram photo, and envisioning events that are six months away. This happens to me all the time, and I have a feeling that I'm not alone. We're physically in one location but forget to engage, cherish, and participate in the NOW because our mind is elsewhere. We live in the age of distraction that causes us to miss out on the opportunities that are within reach and lose our potential to radiate our own happiness. Ironically, our brightest futures hinge on our ability to pay attention to the present. 

So today as I begin spring break and brew (push the Keurig button) myself another cup of coffee, I choose to focus on my attention on a different type of assignment. 

 Be where you are.

jpr


No comments:

Post a Comment