Sunday, January 27, 2013

Raising Shirley Rose

Today there is a huge market that is solely devoted to pets. Strolling through Books-A-Million and Target I've always spotted magazines, toys, costumes, movies, and novels that are directed towards pets and their attached owners. After making a mental note of the excessive amount of dog merchandise, I couldn't help but to chuckle at the idea of people becoming so obsessed with a furry four-legged creature. It wasn't until the past few weeks that my previous judgement began to shift to understanding.

Skipping ahead to present day, I am now a dog owner for the very first time. Exactly one month ago we welcomed a beautiful dog into our family. After searching several local shelters, one golden doggie (in color and in age) caught my eye. She went by the name of Shirley and because of her calm temperament and big brown eyes I knew adoption had to be the next step.  Without a doubt, she was the one.
I neatly placed my full name on the dotted line at the bottom of the adoption application and agreed to pick Shirley up from the vet the following morning. 
Then, anxiety got the best of me.
 I made a shopping list.

Being inexperienced in this area, I struggled making decisions from the very beginning. At the top of my list of needed supplies read food, treats, bed, brushes, leash, and collar. Naturally I knew that food was a necessity, so it seemed like an appropriate aisle to start my first round of pet supply shopping. As I stood in the center of the aisle, my neck swiveled left to right at a steady pace. Who knew that dogs would require so many choices?  Multiple brands. Countless flavors.
I began reading the nutrition facts on the side of each bag.
After all a healthy dog is a happy dog, right?
This logic made sense to me, so I chose what seemed to offer the widest range of vitamins and protein.

After wrestling the bag of food into my cart, I paused to consider the extensive amount of time that I have already devoted to my adopted dog.
I proceeded to checkout, realizing that by accepting this new responsibility a portion of my time, sleep, thoughts, and money might have to be sacrificed.

As an young middle-class American I often think, do I truly understand what sacrifice even means?
We have now had Shirley in our home for a month exactly, I can say that the joy that our new dog provides far outweighs any slight inconvenience or forfeit of my time.  Although we as humans will NEVER have the capability to completely understand the depth of ultimate sacrifice, I believe it's important to participate in an act of personal loss for the sake of a better cause. Whether it be raising children, serving in the military, caring for a pet, going into missions, or volunteering for a local organization...it is rewarding to shift focus away from ourselves and onto others.
 In doing so, we are able to appreciate and come with a thankful heart when acknowledging the perfect sacrifice of Jesus Christ. On the flip side, we are also able to catch a glimpse of God's love, passion, and blissful delight that comes as a result of sacrifice when the greater good is achieved.

And as for Shirley Rose?
**Video not compatible on cell phones**
please overlook my running clothes and the LeAnn Rimes pandora station


  She quietly resides on one of the couches in our basement. As a six years old Shar-Pei/Lab mix she is quite the cougar. She spends most of her time sleeping, being cautious not to exert too much energy that may be needed for eating and taking her daily lap around the neighborhood. We are working on her endurance. After an attempt to change her name to Rosie, we decided to avoid an identity crisis because she would only respond to her shelter name. As a consequence, my mutt now has a middle name. The adjustment phase is drawing to an end and Shirley and myself have both transitioned peacefully during this first month.
 With a changed heart and a new pup, its appears that the pet-industry has gained a new customer. Despite years of undeserving judgement I warn you: watch out all my fellow Target shoppers, you've got another buggy to cause traffic down the pet-aisle now.
-JPR-

2 comments:

  1. Sounds a if Shirley Rose the new member of the family has brought a new sense of responsibility but a lot of happiness in return. Welcome to dog ownership. Can't wait to meet her. Love, Uncle Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige, I spoke with your dad today( we played softball together many moons ago) and he gave me your blog site and asked me to go to it and read. I did that and I want to say that you are one young lady that has an excellent grounding in faith who is prepared to build the rest of her life on the solid rock. Stay close to your dad and brother.
    bob

    ReplyDelete