Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Nineteen-Ninety-One

Last night was ineffective, uninspiring, non-enthusiastic, and completely conventional. I refer to this as couch potato syndrome...CPS for short. Nights like this can be compared to a glass of Pignot Grigio: absolutely superb but only in moderation.

How do you treat CPS?
Well, each case is special. And I've decided there is no immediate cure. So last night, I embraced the couch. Something I rarely do anymore.
As I was scanning through channels (and attacking a box of newly delivered Girl Scout cookies) a handful of stars from my childhood beamed through the screen. It's strange how a video clip or song lyrics from your past can wake up an entire collection of memories. And then suddenly, for a brief moment, I felt like I was back in 4th grade. What an afflicting thought. Fourth grade. A time of innocence, laughter, and carefree decision making.
But also the year of chunky cheeks, athletic shorts, four-square play-ground games, coke-bottle glasses, and butterfly hair clips. Some girls flawlessly transition from being cute to being pretty. Others get trapped in limbo. You guessed it. I lingered in limbo dressed in Limited Too outfits and NSYNC tee's.
See if you recognize these names:

Justin Timberlake                                                        Mary-Kate and Ashley Olson
Jaleel White                                                                 Britney Spears
Dakota Fanning                                                           Joey Lawrence
Jonathon Taylor Thomas (Home Improvement)
Danielle Fishel (Topanga on Boy Meets World)
Jonathan Lipnicki (Jerry Maguire)

Sound familiar? This crew topped the list of the "100 Greatest Kid Stars". 
I know this because while feeling under the weather with CPS, my eyes were fixated on the tv for an amount of time that I'm ashamed to disclose.  The show explained how each celebrity began his or her career and concluded by comparing "then" and "now" pictures. Check it out.

   
While these kids were starring in major motion pictures and signing multimillion dollar record contracts, most of us 90's rugrats were begging our parents to buy Beanie Babies, milky pens, Fruit by the Foot, and the Oregon Trail CD-ROM. Back in this decade, CPS was referred to as nap-time. It was not only acceptable, but encouraged. My adolescent days cannot easily relate to the childhood experiences of these celebrities. However, one fact is consistent regardless of your level of fame. You can't avoid change. Physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, etc. One day you are selling the GS cookies and the next you are a loyal customer. So cherish all phases of life. Even the embarrassing, awkward, and pudgy moments in limbo …because time only moves in one direction. 

jpr

1 comment:

  1. Paige, That's lovely. Reminds me of the song lyrics from The Boxer by Paul Simon & Art Garfunkel. Hold on to those precious memories my dear. Love, Uncle Jimmy

    Now the years go rushing by me, they are rocking evenly. I am older than I once was but I'm younger than I'll be,that's not unusual. No, it isn't strange. After changes upon changes, we are more or less the same.

    ReplyDelete