Sunday, January 13, 2013

Accidental Accidents (AA)

Operating a car. It's a task that most of us do on a daily basis. Some drive sports cars while others prefer large trucks, but none the less the concept is the same. The requirements for being approved for a driver license are relative low and the drivers tests are set up so citizens can pass with little effort. I recently read that there are approximately 196 million people in the United States that have a drivers license.

 One of which...is me.

Growing up I followed the rules when it came to obtaining a drivers license. First I studied and took my permit test, passing by only one question if I remember correctly. Within the next year I logged several hours of driving time in a variety of different vehicles. I was instructed to ALWAYS keep two hands on the wheel, brake plenty of time in advance, and be considerate of other on the road by signaling my blinker when appropriate. At age 16, my driving skills were deemed adequate enough to be issued an official Tennessee drivers license. (I realize that's nothing to boast about). It's during that same year that my driving confidence began to stoop to an all-time low and my driving record became decorated with it's first citation.
Skipping forward several years and a few tickets and fender benders later I have found myself at a new low: DRIVING SCHOOL...round two.

As I was adding my name to the enrollment sheet this afternoon in hopes of having a few points spared from my record, I began to reflect on the accidents I've had. Why am I such a terrible driver? I've had years of practice now and although I have the gift of gab, I'm a relatively focused driver. However, one common fact has been true with all of the tiny bumps I've accumulated on the road. Reverse. All problems occur when I am in reverse.

While learning to drive I had a handful of really great teachers, but recollecting, I never spent much time checking my mirrors and looking at what's behind me.
Perhaps this discovery also holds true in life as well. Often times we stumble over the same problems again and again.When this happens I often react by jumping up quickly and continuing on the same road without pausing to look back. Luckily this is a problem that can easily be fixed with a little practice, patience, and TLC. So from here on out, I encourage everyone to look through the rear view mirror into your past, appreciate what's behind you, and learn from past mistakes.

Otherwise..I'll be seeing you in driving school or as I like to call it AA.

-jpr-

No comments:

Post a Comment