Monday, March 25, 2013

Imperfect Perfection

Group painting classes have become a trendy idea for birthday bashes and low key festivities. A few weeks ago I attended my first painting party to celebrate a dear friends 50th birthday.
I was out of my element.
Self proclaimed as being artistically challenged, I wasn't sure how a painting class actually worked.
Let me briefly explain in case you are in the same boat.
The gathering space was very open allowing opportunity to move, mingle, and let your creative side be unleashed. That is, assuming you have a creative side. Each person chose an individual work station that was surrounded by supplies.
 Brushes. Paint colors. An apron. In the center of each work space was an easel supporting a bare white canvas. The work stations were identical and arranged in close proximity to one another, fostering an atmosphere for comfortable conversation.

As I sat down and claimed a vacant canvas, the class instructor stepped onto a platform in the front of the room. The kind, slender lady presented the finished example of the portrait that the entire group was scheduled to paint. It was then time to begin adding character to the boring print in front of me.

The teacher guided the group through the procedure. Stroke by stroke.
As expressed earlier, painting is not my forte. Leaning in close to the canvas, I spent time focusing on each tiny feature in the instruction process. My nose was pressed near to the canvas. My lips perched to the side with frustration growing inside of me with the addition of every minor mistake. Quickly I became disheartened and I found myself glancing up to scan the room and compare my artwork.

At that time it became evident that no two paintings were identical. I turned back to my own painting, this time looking from a different perspective. Instead of fixating my view on all the faults, I took a step back to enjoy the portrait in its entirety. In doing so, feeling much more pleased with the tedious work that went into painting the canvas. Often we get so discouraged by the details, that we lose our vision of the big picture.
 Although each lady modeled their artwork after the same example, everyone's painting was unique and beautifully crafted with an individual twist. Perhaps the canvases can be used as visual representation of the diversity and stunning imperfections that exists in us all. With a shift in my outlook, I choose to live believing that our faults and dissimilar traits are what make people fascinating and add vibrant color to life.
Learn to love and laugh at personal limitations that are beyond your control, knowing that you are a masterpiece in the making.

jpr




No comments:

Post a Comment